Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, what's your favourite takeaway dish?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
The four members of Soda Blonde were formerly part of Little Green Cars, but they're quickly shaking off the past and leaving their folk roots behind for a new, poppier sound.
The Dublin band released their 'Terrible Hands' debut EP a few months ago and are capping off 2019 with two gigs at Whelan's this weekend (December 15th and 16th).
We caught up with the band's guitarist Adam O'Regan ahead of those gigs.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
The Beatles, Massive Attack, Air, the Amelie soundtrack, U2, The Doors, The Strokes, Beach House.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Everything feels right.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I love to have a pint of Guinness while packing down the stage with Dylan and Donagh. There’s something very relaxing about wrapping leads.
4. Whose career do you envy, and why?
I don’t think I envy anyone's career necessarily but there are countless artists who’s careers I aspire to and who inspire me.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
The Avalanches - 'Since I Left You'
Porches - 'Pool'
Chilly Gonzales - 'Solo Piano I'
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Bleeding Heart Pigeons - 'Is', 'Breakfast At Tiffany’s' by Truman Capote, 'Magnolia'.
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
9. Describe your perfect day off.
A few pints in town, some nice food and the cinema.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your gig.
We’re your new favourite band.