Earlier this week, it emerged that Steven Spielberg had made history by becoming the first director whose films have grossed over $10 billion worldwide.
Spielberg’s latest hit movie was sci fi fantasy flick Ready Player One, but he has had a bunch of box office smashes in the past including Jaws, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones. He has also earned three Oscars.
Spielberg’s highest grossing movie ever was 1993’s Jurassic Park, which made $983.8 million worldwide (so it’s no small wonder that we’ll be seeing a fifth instalment in the franchise, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, soon).
The second and third highest grossing directors of all time will likely come of little surprise as Peter Jackson, the helmer behind the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, and Michael Bay of the Transformers franchise take those places respectively.
Below are the top 25 highest grossing directors of all time, and their lifetime grosses (via Indiewire).
1. Steven Spielberg - $10,431,353,408
2. Peter Jackson - $6,563,450,365
3. Michael Bay - $6,444,724,928
4. James Cameron - $6,229,972,167
5. David Yates - $5,332,763,548
6. Christopher Nolan - $4,703,918,446
7. Robert Zemeckis - $4,315,204,840
8. Ridley Scott - $4,122,266,940
9. Chris Columbus - $4,092,733,049
10. Tim Burton - $4,059,582,670