As we look at every movie delayed in 2020, it's worth noting that things are feeling a little more optimistic following the box office success of 'Tenet'. Still, there's no doubt that the movie industry and cinemas are going to continue to feel strain in the coming months.
Cinemas in Ireland have now, for the most part, opened with social distancing and health and safety guidelines in place.
But they will struggle since studios have pushed back numerous releases.
Here's a list of all major movie release dates pushed back so far.
- 'Tenet' - moved to 26 August, 2020
- 'The New Mutants' - moved to 28 August, 2020
- 'Bill & Ted Face the Music' - moved to 16 September, 2020
- 'Wonder Woman 1984' - moved to 26 December, 2020
- 'Candyman' - moved to 2021
- 'Saint Maud' - moved to 9 October, 2020
- 'The Secret Garden' - moved to 23 October, 2020
- 'Black Widow' - moved to 7 May, 2021
- 'Arracht' - moved to 6 November, 2020
- 'No Time To Die' - moved to 12 November, 2020
- 'Soul' - moved to 27 November, 2020
- 'Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway' - moved to 11 December, 2020
- 'Free Guy' - moved to 11 December, 2020
- 'Blithe Spirit' - moved to 25 December, 2020
- 'The Eternals' - moved to 5 November, 2021
- 'Antlers' - moved to 19 February, 2021
- 'Nobody' - moved to 19 February, 2021
- 'The King's Man' - moved to 12 February, 2021
- 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' - moved to 5 March, 2021
- 'Raya and the Last Dragon' - moved to 12 March, 2021
- 'Morbius' - moved to 19 March, 2021
- 'Fast and Furious 9' - moved to 2 April, 2021
- 'A Quiet Place, Part II' - moved to 23 April, 2021
- 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' - moved to 9 July, 2021
- 'Spiral: From the Book of Saw' - moved to 21 May, 2021
- 'Infinite' - moved to 28 May, 2021
- 'In the Heights' - moved to 18 June, 2021
- 'Venom: Let There Be Carnage' (aka 'Venom 2') - moved to 25 June, 2021
- 'Minions: The Rise of Gru' - moved to 2 July, 2021
- 'Top Gun Maverick' - moved to 8 July, 2021
- 'Unchartered' - moved to 16 July, 2021
- 'Jungle Cruise' - moved to 30 July, 2021
- 'The Batman' - moved to 1 October, 2021
- 'Sing 2' - moved to 22 December, 2021
- 'The Matrix 4' - moved to 1 April, 2022
- 'John Wick 4' - moved to 27 May, 2022
- 'Indiana Jones 5' - moved to 29 July, 2022
- 'West Side Story' - moved to 10 December, 2021
- 'A Girl from Mogadishu' - new date unknown
- 'Promising Young Woman' - new date unknown
- 'Malignant' - new date unknown
- The French Dispatch' - new date unknown
Some movies that have been delayed have no confirmed new release date at this time.
A number of releases, including 'The Lovebirds', 'Greyhound', 'Superman: Red Son', 'Finding the Way Back', 'Scoob!', 'The High Note', 'Trolls World Tour', 'Antebellum', 'Run', 'Radioactive', 'Sea Fever', 'The Spongebob Mobie: Sponge on the Run' and 'The Woman in the Window', ended up heading to on demand instead of theatres.
Many major titles, such as 'Fast & Furious 9', 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' and 'A Quiet Place Part II', have been moved to next year.
Thus it seems the concerns are this could go on longer than anticipated.
Here's hoping the studio movies brave enough to go for a 2020 release keep the industry going.