Note to every contact lense wearer's everywhere: this may traumatise you for life. But there's a lesson here so persevere.

Taiwanese undergrad student Lian Kao was left without her sight after microscopic amoeba ate into her eyes when she left her contacts in for six months straight. According to the Daily Mail, 23-year-old Kao left her contacts in non-stop, not even taking them out to shower or go swimming.

This is apparently the perfect condition for bugs like the one that destroyed Kao's eyes to grow in, and they did just that.

Wu Jian-liang, director of ophthalmology at Taipei's Wan Fang Hospital told press: 'Contact lens wearers are a high-risk group that can easily be exposed to eye diseases. A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground. The girl should have thrown the contact lenses away after a month but instead she overused them and has now permanently damaged her corneas.'