Because bringing a live snake to bed is a great idea.

Florida teenager (and idiot) Austin Hatfield learned the hard way that snakes are not to be messed with after being bitten on the lip by a poisonous water moccasin that he caught in his girlfriend's back garden and decided to bring into his room in a pillowcase.

Hatfield's lip immediately began to swell and was rushed to hospital to be treated before any real damage could be done while the snake was euthanized so that it could be identified and Hatfield could be treated.

Authorities say that he could face charges of illegally trapping a snake, but we think this ordeal may be punishment enough for the 18-year-old.

Via YouTube/ABC News