ITV's National Movie Awards took place in London last night, and they proved to be as pointless as ever - what with there being all of eight awards 'n all. That and they're voted for by the Great British public, so the Harry Potter and Twilight franchises featured heavily.
There were a few surprises though; Best Breakthrough Movie went to The Time Traveller's Wife, while Tom Cruise managed to bag the Screen Icon Award. And he just happened to be there to pick up his gong.
Another surprise of the evening was the impromptu fancy dress theme. Gwyneth Paltrow came as Jane Jetson; Katie Holmes went under the guise of an incarcerated zebra with severe Stokholm syndrome; Martin Freeman opted for a Willy Wonka inspired attire; Orlando Bloom stuck with his '14-year-old trying to get served in local so spends 2 months sprouting bum fluff' theme; Alan Carr came came as a hypnotist; Kylie came as a tropical pond; Joshua Jackson came as one lucky bastard, Chris Rock came as an extra from the Thriller video; while Chipmunk arrived as 1992.
The full list of winners (no, seriously, that is the full list of winners. And they managed to squeeze a two-hour ceremony out of this, which is repeated tonight on TV3 from 9pm) can be seen below.
• Action/Thriller - Sherlock Holmes
• Family - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
• Fantasy - The Twilight Saga: New Moon
• Most Anticipated Movie Of The Summer - The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
• Breakthrough Movie - The Time Travellers Wife
• Performance of the Year Male/Female - Robert Pattinson (The Twilight Saga: New Moon)
• Special recognition award - Harry Potter
• Screen Icon - Tom Cruise