While Tinder may or may not be the most popular app, it is undoubtedly the most popular dating app currently on the market.
Tinder, which has over 100 million downloads since launch and approximately 1.4 BILLION swipes a day, is home to some of modern life's most deepest and intimate secrets. After all, we use it for dating, casual fun or trying to see what people around are up to.
But precisely what information does Tinder store on you? According to a freedom-of-information request by a journalist at Business Insider, Tinder is currently storing the following information on you right this very instant.
- Your name, age, gender, date of birth, Facebook username and date you joined Tinder
- Your Tinder bio (obviously)
- Your sexual preferences on the app
- Every photo you've ever uploaded to Tinder (even ones you deleted)
- Every message you've ever sent on Tinder (even ones you deleted)
- Coordinates to your last known location
- Your IP address
- Facebook codes for the school you've attended
While this might be standard procedure for apps nowadays, it's a little bit frightening to realise just how much information you unwittingly hand out when you download an app.
Irish law allows for a freedom-of-information request under the Data Protection Act of 2003, so you can get your own one of these. That is, of course, if you want to stroll down Horribly Awkward Memory Lane. The e-mail is [email protected] and you simply need to request a 'Subject Access Request' along with your name, age and a few other bits and bobs.
Then again, maybe some things are best left hidden away in a computer server.
Via Business Insider