Elton John - who cancelled a string of summer concert dates after being stricken with appendicitis - is said to be feeling 'great' after undergoing the 45-minute procedure at Monaco's Princess Grace hospital on Thursday and is now recovering at his home in Nice, France with husband David Furnish and their sons Zachary, two, and seven-month-old Elijah,
The 66-year-old star had been taking antibiotics for weeks to reduce an abscess before he could have the operation, and is now looking forward to returning to the stage next month telling friends: 'I feel great.'
A source added: 'Elton is back in Nice playing with the boys now. He is a lot better and very positive after the operation. He still has to rest up but is determined to get back on the road next month and can't wait to see his fans who have sent thousands of get well soon messages.'
It was recently revealed the cancelled shows could trigger an insurance payout of up to £10 million to cover ticket refunds. A source said: 'Artists have insurance for the promoters' liability. Elton is insured so they get their money back or they can have another concert.'
The 66-year-old singer has rescheduled some dates but others were part of festivals so the ticket money must be refunded. The source added: 'It has all been taken care of and will be rescheduled. No promoter will be out of pocket. Elton even spoke to some of the festival promoters to apologise because he has been working with them for so long.'