For those who may be unaware or have been in a coma for the past twenty-one years and this is their first time interacting with popular culture, Steamed Hams is a reference to a small sketch written for an episode of The Simpsons.
The sketch is considered one of the finest examples of comedy writing in The Simpsons, but in recent months, has taken on a completely new identity. It probably says something about the versatility and ubiquity of the sketch, because now people are editing and adding new contexts to the sketch.
What do we mean? For example, there's one version of Steamed Hams made to look like it's a cutscene from Metal Gear Solid. Another version has audio taken from the year 3027. Another is made to look like Skinner has schizophrenia.
It gets THAT weird. Here's ten of the best examples we've found so far.
12. Steamed Hams, But The Audio Is From 3027
It's hard to explain this one, but parts of this video sound like they've been pulled straight from Transformers.
11. Steamed Hams, But It's A Pokemon Battle
Skinner uses Lying - it's Super Effective!
10. Steamed Hams, But It's The Ending Of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Chalmers saw the Aurora Borealis. It's full of stars.
8. Steamed Hams, But It's Twin Peaks
This is probably the finest example of how music can completely shift the tone of a scene from relatively hilarious to utterly terrifying and bewildering.
7. Steamed Hams, But It's Like An Episode Of Seinfeld
If this was live-action, Superintendent Chalmers could be played by Kruger, George Costanza's boss in the ninth season.
6. Steamed Hams, But It's A Mission From Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Seymour orders two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.
5. Steamed Hams, But It's Pulp Fiction
SAY STEAMED HAMS AGAIN!
4. Steamed Hams, But It's Pink Floyd performing Great Gig In The Sky
3. Steamed Hams, But Skinner Has Schizophrenia
Again, this just shows how music and judicious editing can turn something fun and comical into something dark and disturbing.
2. Steamed Hams, But Nobody's There
This should be an art installation.
1. Steamed Hams, But It's Metal Gear Solid
Cromulent Epsionage Action. The attention to detail here is stunning.