The law's a tricky thing. Although it's set down in black and white, people make a living out of bending and twisting it until it has no meaning.
So, we decided to do a little bit of digging and find some really, REALLY strange laws that are legitimately in effect (although probably not enforced) laws from across the world.
Take a look!
12. YOU CAN OWN A NUCLEAR BOMB IN UTAH, USA
Good to know if you're planning on being a super-villain. You just can't detonate it. Y'know, for obvious reasons.
11. YOU CAN LEGALLY KILL A SCOTSMAN IN YORK, NORTH ENGLAND
Provided you do it within the ancient city walls of York and the Scotsman is carrying a bow and arrow. That's a handy one if you ever fancy taking Andy Murray out. You'll just need to plant the bow and arrow on him afterwards. Not that we're telling you how to kill Andy Murray. Cough.
10. IT IS ILLEGAL TO FLIRT IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
In fairness, we think this should be illegal in Copper Face Jacks, The Palace, Dicey's, Workman's Club, basically everywhere.
9. MASTURBATION IS A SERIOUS OFFENCE IN INDONESIA
Despite a widely-held belief, Indonesia does NOT decapitate those who partake in a bit of self-love. However, the Muslim state does take a very dim view of what it calls 'immoral behaviour'. Masturbation is defined as a sin under Islamic law, which Indonesia has incorporated into its penal system. Stop laughing. Of course, it's pretty difficult to prove that you enjoyed some alone time with yourself unless there's a witness to prove it. The lesson to take away here is if that you find yourself in Indonesia and feel like touching yourself, do it in a private place where nobody's watching. Or if they are watching, make sure they're cool with it and don't rat you to the police.
8. FLUSHING A TOILET AFTER 10PM IS ILLEGAL IN SWITZERLAND
It's something do with noise pollution. We'd argue the smell can sometimes be classed as pollution.
7. SPITTING IS ILLEGAL IN SASKATOON, CANADA
That is unless you spit into a spittoon. That's those that make that DING! noise in old Westerns.
6. IF YOU HAVE THE FREEDOM OF DUBLIN, YOU CAN PASTURE SHEEP ON ST. STEPHEN'S GREEN IF YOU LIKE
Bono did it once. Of course he did.
5. YOU CAN DEMAND A GLASS OF PORT DURING AN EXAM AT TRINITY COLLEGE, DUBLIN
It dates back to the archaic laws of the college. If anyone's ACTUALLY done this, please let us know.
4. IT IS ILLEGAL FOR CHICKENS TO CROSS A PUBLIC HIGHWAY IN QUITMAN, GEORGIA
We're not sure what the law on knock-knock jokes are.
3. YOU CAN BE ARRESTED FOR HARASSING BIGFOOT IN WASHINGTON STATE
You'd actually have to FIND Bigfoot and then harass him / her in order to be charged and arrested for this, though. So, good luck with that one.
2. IT'S ILLEGAL TO INSULT ANYONE'S RELIGION IN IRELAND UNDER THE DEFAMATION ACT OF 2009
This isn't some crazy-ass remnant from Brehon Law or the British legal system. That's in law right now. In this country. Right now. You can get fined €25,000 for it as well.
1. USING A SMARTPHONE (OR ANY RECORDING DEVICE) IN A CINEMA CAN GET YOU A €127,000 FINE
The catch is, unfortunately, is that you have to be using the recording app on the phone. Answering a text, playing CandyCrush, live-tweeting a film isn't considered an offence. It's just a real dickish thing to do.