The results of the toxicology report on the late, great Prince are in, and it's been confirmed that the musician's cause of death was an opioid overdose.
There had been much speculation that the 57-year-old had been treated for an overdose on painkillers the week before he died, but the rumours had been unfounded - until now.
The Associated Press reports that law enforcement officers have told them that the cause of death was indeed an opioid overdose on April 21st, when he was found unresponsive in his Paisley Park studio complex/home.
FYI, the FDA defines opioids as: "Prescription opioids are powerful pain-reducing medications that include prescription oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine, among others, and have both benefits as well as potentially serious risks. These medications can help manage pain when prescribed for the right condition and when used properly. But when misused or abused, they can cause serious harm, including addiction, overdose and death."
The Minnesota Medical Examiner has released an official statement, confirming the earlier report. According to AP, Prince Rogers Nelson died of an "accidental overdose of powerful painkiller fentanyl."
BREAKING: Minnesota medical examiner: Prince died of accidental overdose of powerful painkiller fentanyl.
— The Associated Press (@AP) June 2, 2016