Further details of Prince's death have emerged following the toxicology report from his autopsy being obtained by the Associated Press.

Although the initial results made public confirmed that he had died of an opioid overdose at his Paisley Park home on April 21st, 2016, the full extent of the overdose had not been known until now.

The toxicology report states that there was an 'exceedingly high' level of the painkiller drug fentanyl in the musician's system when he died, and a professor at Rutgers Medical School in New Jersey said that the report was a "pretty clear smoking gun." Lewis Nelson said: "The amount in his blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches."

The report also reveals that the concentration of fentanyl in his system was 67.8 micrograms per litre. People have overdosed with concentrations of anything from 3 to 58 micrograms per litre.

The amount of the drug found in his stomach also suggested that he had taken it orally, but that it had had time to be absorbed into his blood and liver before he died.

The lead prosecutor of the Minnesota county where Prince died told the press last week that he was 'reviewing reports' and would be deciding 'in the near future' whether to charge anyone with his death.