As has become their annual tradition, the students of Dublin's Sound Training Centre, based in Temple Bar Music Centre, have put together a charity compilation featuring some of the most popular acts in Ireland performing covers of some of their favourite tune.
Having previously worked with The Corrs, Bell X1, Republic of Loose, Damien Dempsey, The Thrills and Lisa Hannigan, this year's compilation is called 'Silver Lining' and features new versions of popular songs from James Vincent McMorrow, Heathers, Dublin Gospel Choir and The Chapters. The full track list is as follows:
1. Superfly Featuring Niall Breslin (The Blizzards) – Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel)
2. Louize Carroll – You're the Voice (John Farnham)
3. James V McMorrow – Higher Love (Steve Winwood)
4. Superfly Featuring Paul Noonan (Bell-X1) – You can call me Al (Paul Simon)
5. The Cast Of Cheers – Dangerzone (Kenny Loggins)
6. Heathers – True Colors (Cyndi Lauper)
7. The Chapters – Hip to be Square (Huey Lewis)
8. This Club – Dancing on the Ceiling (Lionel Richie)
9. Dublin Gospel Choir – Livin on a Prayer (Bon Jovi)
10. R.S.A.G – There is a Light That Never Goes Out (The Smiths)
All proceeds from 'Silver Lining' will benefit youth mental health charity 'Headstrong'. It will be launched with a free gig in The Button Factory on May 19th, featuring music from This Club, Mali Junior and more to be announced.
You can listen to short extracts of each song below. We particularly enjoy The Cast of Cheers' math-rock rendition of 80s classic 'Dangerzone' and R.S.A.G.'s take on The Smiths' 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out'.