The next step in HMV's acclaimed 'my inspiration' campaign is a compilation of covers featuring the likes of Girls Aloud, Florence and the Machine and the Sugababes tackling tracks by the artists who have inspired them.
The idea behind the 'my inspiration' campaign, which has been running for the last three years, is that artists reference a song or lyric that has inspired them. Earlier this year, HMV released a 'my inspiration' 18 month calendar, featuring rock gods such as Dylan, Springsteen and Bono. Now, the music megastore have teamed up with Universal Music to produce the first ever 'my inspiration' album.
While you'll already be familiar with some of these versions, this is the first time that many of the covers will have been heard by fans or have been available to buy. The album was launched to HMV store managers during their annual business and Xmas conference held at the HMV Hammersmith Apollo on Monday 12th October – with an acoustic performance by James Morrison of his selected inspirational song Man In The Mirror.
The full tracklisting is as follows:
1. James Morrison - Man In The Mirror (Michael Jackson)
2. The Saturdays – Beggin' (Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons)
3. Sugababes - For Once In My Life (Stevie Wonder)
4. Gary Go - Black and Gold (Sam Sparro)
5. Frankmusik – Rehab (Amy Winehouse)
6. V V Brown - Padlock (Gwen Guthrie)
7. Amy Macdonald - Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen)
8. Stereophonics - The Eton Rifles (The Jam)
9. The Maccabees - I Drove All Night (Roy Orbison)
10. Noisettes - Ill Wind (Ella Fitzgerald)
11. Girls Aloud - Broken Strings (James Morrison & Nelly Furtado)
12. Florence and the Machine - You Got The Love (The Source ft. Candi Staton)
The album will retail for just €5 in Ireland, and will be generally promoted as an affordable Christmas gift. Seriously lads, it's not even Halloween yet!