The re-opening of Le Bataclan on Friday night for Sting's gig was supposed to be a time of healing and rememberance, but it threatened to get ugly after some mud-slinging relating to Eagles of Death Metal occurred in the press.
The co-director of the venue, Jules Fruto, told AFP that he had turned EODM frontman Jesse Hughes away from the venue because of comments he had made in the past which suggested that the venue's security staff may have been complicit in the attacks. AFP report him as saying: "They came, I threw them out - there are things you can't forgive... He makes these incredibly false declarations every two months. It is madness, accusing our security of being complicit with the terrorists. Enough. Zero. This has to stop.”
However, the band's manager Mark Pollack told Billboard that this was not true - and although Hughes was in Paris to remember the anniversary, he had not even attempted to gain access to Le Bataclan.
He released a statement saying: "This day is not about Jesse Hughes or Eagles of Death Metal. In fact, Jesse is in Paris to share in remembering the tragic events of a year ago with his friends, family and fans. This is about recalling the tragic loss of life that happened right in front of his eyes during his show, and this coward Jules Frutos feels the need to soil his own club’s reopening by spreading false tales to the press, and tainting a wonderful opportunity that could’ve been used to spread peace and love, to further spread mean spirited words of hate. Jesse never even tried entering the club for Sting’s show tonight.”
The Hollywood Reporter also claims that Hughes stopped by (outside) the venue earlier in the day to pay tribute and talk to fans, but was 'fully aware' that since security and ticketing was tight and did not attempt to gain entry.