Victoria Canal is a 23-year-old singer, songwriter, producer and activist from Amsterdam.
The one-handed pianist recently released her new EP ‘Elegy’, and is already making waves across the media after duetting with Coldplay’s Chris Martin - who called her track ‘Swan Song’ ”one of the best songs ever written".
The young musician also recently played Dublin, so we caught up with her to learn more.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
I listened to a lot of Bon Iver, early Coldplay, Radiohead, James Blake, Red Hot Chili Peppers…
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Exhilarating, nerve-racking, toe-tingling.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I usually just hang out and cuddle my friends. I have cuddly friends.
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
‘Somebody to Love’ by Queen.
5. What is your pet peeve?
Not being able to take off my jewelry by myself very quickly.
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
‘Who Are You Now’ - Madison Cunningham
‘Pachinko’ by Min Jin Lee
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Director: Woody Allen
Lead Actress: Anne Hathaway
Romantic Lead: Zendaya
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Bruschetta for breakfast, spend the morning at the women’s bathing ponds in Hampstead, lunch with friends, the afternoon in a bookstore, a songwriter circle in the evening, and a movie with a cuddle before sleeping.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
It’s gonna be a deep, warm, pillowy experience. A night of catharsis and healing and breathing deep, but also super fun.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
I recommend Smartless for the sheer joy of hearing three asshole comedians (Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, and Sean Hayes) take digs at each other over the course of an hour and a half.
'Elegy' is out now.