UK artist venbee is causing a bit of a stir with her latest single ‘Messy in Heaven’.
The track has over 11 million global streams, has broken the Top 50 on the Irish Spotify Charts, has been added to the BBC Radio 1 playlist and is picking up hype across various media outlets.
The 21-year0old artist and songwriter is bold, funny, forthright and not afraid to speak her mind - as proven with her breakthrough single ‘Low Down’, a song tackling the subject of depression.
We caught up with her to learn more.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Justin Bieber, Fleetwood Mac & Carol King.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Sh*t my self
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I go home with my boyfriend and we watch cartoons. Currently it’s been Big Mouth.
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
I wish I’d written ‘Natural Woman’ by Carole King.
5. What is your pet peeve?
People chewing loudly - especially on the train!
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Everyone should listen to Connie Constance’s new album because it’s absolutely sick. It’s called ‘Miss Power’, it’s amazing.
Unfortunately, I really struggle with reading so I don’t have any recommendations. #dyslexic
A movie someone should see is the ‘Spongebob Movie’.
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
I'd have Sam Levinson direct and have Florence Pugh play me.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
I order Nando’s a lot, but I also eat a lot of chips.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Laying in bed and doing nothing. I like to do nothing on my days off.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig.
‘Cause you’ll have a bloody good time and the tickets are well cheap!!
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
'Saving Grace' - subscribe because it’s hilarious. Grace is so comedic and invites guests on her show to talk about ‘the tea.’ It’s a juicy show.
'Messy in Heaven' by venbee and Goddard is out now.