Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
He first gained renown as a guest vocalist on Chase & Status's 'All Goes Wrong', but Tom Grennan has firmly established himself as a solo act thanks to songs like 'Found What I've Been Looking For' (which you'll know if you watch Sky Sports on Sundays) and 'Sober'.
With his new single 'Oh Please' out now, we tracked him down to answer our ten very important questions.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
The music I listened to growing up was grime, hip-hop and I still listen to it. Artists like Skepta, Frisko, Dizzee Rascal, a Bedford band called Macabre Unit, Ghetts and I loved Dr Dre, Eminem, Nas, Snoop Dogg, D-12, Biggie, 2Pac. I still love them all! I also listened to a lot of the Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, The Libertines and a load of indie music that I still listen to now.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Exciting, butterflies and calm.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I don't really wind down after a gig, it's really hard because of the adrenaline you get on stage. I usually have a beer and put on loud music. It's hard to wind down from it.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
I wish I'd written 'You Know I'm No Good' by Amy Winehouse. It's one of my favourite songs.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
I'd pick The Marshall Mathers LP, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles and Exodus by Bob Marley.
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black, Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom and Hacksaw Ridge.
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Guy Ritchie & Jack O'Connell.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Always an Indian! Chicken tikka masala, chapati, mushroom rice.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
My perfect day would be to walk my dog Marmite, be with my friends in the sun. Or on holiday.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig.
You should come to my gig because it's fun and everyone is there to have a good time and the songs, I hope they connect to people on a deeper level. There's an emotion in the room every time that I play and it doesn't just come from me, it comes from the audience too. It's a great feeling.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
Peter Crouch's podcast and you should subscribe to it because it's probably one of the funniest podcasts that's out there at the moment and has been for a very long time. It's ledge!
'Oh Please' is out now.