Formed in 2016, The Scratch rose to prominence following a performance at the annual Rory Gallagher festival which went viral.
Releasing their debut album 'Couldn’t Give A Rats' one month into the Covid lockdown in 2020, the band re-emerged triumphantly, building a loyal fanbase and selling out venues across Ireland.
Fresh from a European tour supporting Dropkick Murphys, the Dublin four-piece have signed to Sony and will be releasing their second album ‘Mind Yourself’, produced by James Vincent McMorrow, on November 3rd.
To mark their new single ‘Blaggard’, we caught up with Daniel Lang from the band to learn more about them.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Metallica, Pantera, Testament, Shania Twain, Limp Bizkit, Thin Lizzy, The Cranberries, Lighthouse Family, Lamb of God, New York Brolly Dynamic (NYBD).
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
One more wee.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
Lil load out, lil can, lil sleep.
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
‘Music Sounds Better With You’ by Stardust.
5. What is your pet peeve?
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Underworld - ‘Everything Everything’
The Name Of The Wind - ‘Patrick Rothfuss’
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
It’s set in the future.
Dock - Steve Staunton
Me - Peter Crouch
Jordo - Roy Keane
Cathal - Will Poulter because Cathal never gave up the Chicago Town Pizzas and they’re good for your skin.
Director: Bob Gallagher
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Domino’s Sizzler pizza without those dirty tandoori chicken strips. Lil garlic bread on the side and a Coke.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Grapes in one hand, bag of peas in the other. Little bit of gravy
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
Just asked Dock there and he says "It’ll blast the rust off your crowbar".
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
The latest Louis Theroux podcast series is great.
'Blaggard' is out now. The Scratch release 'Mind Yourself' on November 3rd and tour Ireland in October and November - see here for full listings.