Reevah is the moniker for alt-pop artist Aoife Boyle, known for her singer-songwriter roots and acclaimed alt-pop sound.
The Derry artist has just released her latest single "Without You" and will play a highly anticipated headline show in Whelan’s on April 7th.
Reevah's music has been praised for her ability to express the frailties, confusions, and vulnerabilities that come with everyday experience
We caught up with her recently to learn more.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Bon Iver, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Air, Fleetwood Mac, & Red Hot Chili Peppers.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Adrenaline, Focus, Breathe.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I usually take a bit of time to myself directly after performing. When I come off stage it can initially take a bit of time for me to regulate my adrenaline. I’ll then usually reconnect with the band and interact with the audience for a while!
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
I am genuinely obsessed with Biig Piig at the minute. I really love the track ‘405’ which is a collaborative track by Metronomy and Biig Piig. I really love the 80s synth, cool pop vibes.
5. What is your pet peeve?
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
‘Emily’ by Clean Cut Kid
'True Romance' – the cult classic
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Quentin Tarantino with lead actors Margot Robbie & Ryan Gosling. (I wish haha!)
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Thai food, always.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Spent with family and friends, in no particular order: a drive to Donegal, a swim in the ocean, a skate on my cruiser board, a great cup of coffee, some writing, some beaut food, a good laugh with friends, a pint of Guinness.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
If you like dreamy ‘80s indiepop vibes and an energetic live performance, we’re your gang!
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
Song Exploder – It’s a podcast which directly interacts with artists, allowing them to break down their tracks step by step and exploring their processes and writing influences. I find it super interesting and influential when it comes to looking at my own process as an artist.
Reevah plays Whelan's on April 7th.