RAYE has been on our radar for the past few years, ever since we first heard her song 'You Don't Know Me' with Jax Jones back in 2016.
Her debut album 'Euphoric Sad Songs' was released last year and did exactly what it said on the tin, with sad bangers like 'Love Me Again' and 'Regardless' on the tracklist.
So we were delighted when she agreed to answer entertainment.ie's ten very important questions...
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Nina Simone, Jill Scott, gospel music like Cece Winans and Donny McClerkin - those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Adrenaline, Impatience, Butterflies
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
It’s quite hard because you’re full of energy and pumped and often don’t want to suppress that feeling. I usually put on some jazz music, have a drink and unwind with my friends and sisters.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
If you mean of all songs in the history of time, then probably Adele 'Someone Like You', hahahahaha. Incredible, timeless song with a fat check.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Oooooh good question.
Frank Sinatra - 'Nothing but the Best'
070 Shake - 'Modus Vivendi'
Dionne Warwick - 'Make way for Dionne'
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Album: 'Who Is Jill Scott'
Book: 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton
Movie: 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Hahaha, such a great question.
I know he’s kind of cancelled, but Woody Allen - because I love the narration and down to art but artistic style he used, and actress Eva Mendes. I'm no way near as pretty as her, but she has a similar skin completion and moles on her face like mine!
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Rosa's Thai: Chicken Pad Thai, veg spring rolls, sweetcorn patties.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Being allowed to turn my phone off! Watching movies, making silly music ideas, dancing around the kitchen, hot chocolate and Madeira wine, staying up til 5am.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
All of the suppressed energy and excitement is about to burst out of me the second I hit that stage. I am about to MD a whole new show, with magical arrangements and mixes, and I am counting down the days, minutes and seconds until I can be the best version of myself again - and that is me on the stage.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
I don't listen to podcasts, but I would recommend a house jazz playlist, and to let your thoughts and dreams run free.
'Euphoric Sad Songs' and new single 'Regardless' with Rudimental are both out now.