Galway-based American musician Peter Broderick was once best known as a member of Danish post-rockers Efterklang, but since 2007 he has been releasing a fascinating and eclectic body of solo material.
His most recent work is 'Blackberry', an album that was surprise-released last Friday.
That gave us the perfect opportunity for Peter to answer our '10 Questions'...
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Awesomely uncomfortable anticipation.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
Oh, the days of gigs! Most of the time I like to chat with people who come to a show and chat with venue staff while packing down equipment. If I’m traveling alone, I’ll go to wherever I’m staying and listen to a podcast or read a book and maybe do some stretching and/or meditation. If I’m traveling with friends I might go for a drink or play some cards, but I don’t usually go too wild…
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
'As I Roved Out' (There are several tunes with this title... I’m referring to a slow ballad that Andy Irvine sang with the group Planxty.)
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Shel Silverstein - A Light In The Attic
Erykah Badu - But You Caint Use My Phone
The Lounge Lizards - Live From The Drunken Boat
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
RECORD: Nina Simone - Nina Simone And Piano!
BOOK: Plant Intelligence And The Imaginal Realm, by Steven Harrod Buhner
FILM: Noi Albinoi, written and directed by Dagur Kari
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
DIRECTOR: Dagur Kari
LEAD ACTOR: Kyle MacLachlan
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Most often some kind of stir-fry or curry. Or... ummmmm... ok, you caught me... PIZZA!!!
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Foraging and fishing all day with a few great friends, with a bit of swimming in the sea or a lake, culminating with a giant bonfire, cooking a big feast together and then playing some tunes.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it happens)...
I will not waste your precious f***ing time.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
Aesthetically I love the Duncan Trussell Family Hour... crazy dude does all kind of wacky sonic experiments, along with mind expanding interviews with all kinds of brilliant weirdos. And if you’re interested in foraging and wild foods, I highly recommend the WildFed Podcast.
'Blackberry' is out now, and you can stream it in full below.