London-based alt-pop duo Oh Wonder seriously impressed us with their second album 'Ultralife' back in 2017, so we're all ears for its follow-up.
'No One Else Can Wear Your Crown' has just been released and Anthony West and Josephine Vander Gucht are embarking on a major tour in support of it.
Before they hit the road, we sat them down to answer our 10 Questions series.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
We both grew up listening to Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Elton John and Death Cab for Cutie, and they are all still on regular rotation in our house. Hear'Say sadly didn't make the cut.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Nervous, hypey and exhilirating.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
We come off stage with so much energy that we basically jump around, eat a cheese sandwich and then once we've calmed down we normally have a shower, get into our PJs, say hi to any fans and have an Old Fashioned on the bus with our band and crew.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
'You've Got A Friend' by Carole King is a pretty perfectly written song. It's so stunning, and so simple. Somehow it's endured 50 years but still feels so relevant.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Today we need some good energy, so we'd pick Sylvan Esso's 'What Now', Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key Of Life' and 'Metals' By Feist.
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Record - 'Baby Teeth' by Dizzy
Book - 'A Little Life' by Hanya Yanagihara
Film – 'Parasite'
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
We'd get Bong Joon-Ho to direct Shia LaBoeuf and Margot Robbie in a weird, thrilling version of our lives. Then we'd ask Margot if we can be friends and she'd probably say no.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Poke bowl for lunch or a Thai curry for dinner.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Wake up, hit the gym for a weights session, take our dog to the park for a walk in the sunshine, come back, make coffee, eat eggs on sourdough for breakfast, head into town, go to an exhibition at the Tate Modern, grab lunch at Bubala, walk around the streets of London, grab a cocktail at Oriole bar, have dinner at a restaurant we've never tried, and then head to a gig at Brixton Academy.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your gig
Because we guarantee that for £20 you'll leave feeling both elated and emotional. We have cry pits, our equivalent to a mosh. *Tissues not included with ticket purchase.
Bonus question: recommend a podcast to us!
We always get our incredible designer Casey Roarty to recommend podcasts. We've just downloaded his suggestion of 'Broken Record' for tour. Also, if you've somehow managed to miss it, Season 1 of Serial remains the mist gripping podcast of all time.
'No One Else Can Wear Your Crown' is out now.