Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
Next up are British pop trio New Hope Club, who released their self-titled debut album last month - which went straight into the top 10 in both the UK and Ireland.
Reece, Blake and George have made a name for themselves thanks to catchy songs like 'Crazy' and 'Medicine', so we sat them down to hear about what makes them tick.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
We all grew up listening to indie bands like Oasis, Stone Roses that we still listen to today because it reminds us of home. But the Beatles have always been our favourite band and we always watch old videos of them and have their albums on repeat.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Nervous, Excited and prepared.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
We always sit in the dressing room after a show, sweaty and talk about the show. We are usually exhausted and like to calm down but if it’s a big show that our friends and family have attended, we will have a little celebration.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
We Can Work It Out - The Beatles. It’s the perfect Lennon, McCartney song and it’s a pure masterpiece.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Abbey Road, Definitely Maybe, and The Stone Roses (self-titled).
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
“Geography” - Tom Misch, “Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World” by Haruki Murakami and “Parasite”.
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Christopher Nolan directing. Featuring Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon. Epic.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
It would have to be a Chinese takeaway, we used to live off these in the early stages of the band.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
In the English countryside with all of our friends, karaoke ready to go, hot tub and cinema room to watch a film.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your gig
When you listen to our music it’s easy to assume that we are quite pop - however, we have been going to gigs together since we met, and our favourite live band are Catfish And the Bottlemen. We carved our live show from The Beatles and the best rock bands to do it, so our live show can naturally get quite crazy. Nobody goes home without singing and dancing their hearts out.
Bonus Question: Recommend a podcast that everyone should subscribe to?
We like the three guys known as Aunty Donna. They are very silly, and their podcast is probably the least structured thing I’ve ever listened to, but it gives us a good laugh.
'New Hope Club' is out now.