He's already a star in his native Canada, and clocked up his first Grammy nomination for 'If the World Was Ending' featuring (his now-girlfriend) Julia Michaels.
Described as 'one of 2020's breakout stars', prepare to hear a lot more of JP Saxe – particularly since he released his debut album 'Dangerous Levels of Introspection' last month.
We caught up with the Toronto singer-songwriter to learn more about him and his music.
1.What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, Lauryn Hill, Joni Mitchell, Carole King. It hasn’t changed much, It’s been pretty consistent.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Excited, tummy ache.
3.How do you wind down after a gig?
I watch basketball. I’m obsessed with the NBA and I think it’s one of my primary forms of therapy.
4.What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
‘I Can’t Make You Love Me’ by Bonnie Raitt.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Oscar Peterson’s 'Night Train', Mau Y Ricky’s ‘Rifresh’ & any of Julia Michaels (not in chronological order).
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Joni Mitchell ‘Blue’
Megan Rapinoe’s autobiography
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Prince Harry. I know he’s not an actor but he could take some classes! Olivia Wilde could direct.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Boba, always boba.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
PJs, basketball game, cuddling with my girlfriend, The Bachelorette, chocolate covered strawberries, boba, pizza, sushi, not in that order. Maybe a couple friends come over for lunch but then back to cuddling my girlfriend.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your gig.
It would make me very happy! That’s the truth.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
I really like Megan Batoon’s podcast. Not just because she’s my friend but because she has some lovely ideas.
'Dangerous Levels of Introspection' is out now.