Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
You may know him from featuring on Jonas Blue's 'Perfect Strangers' or from working with Craig David, but English soul-pop singer-songwriter JP Cooper has a growing catalogue of his own songs, too. He released his debut album 'Raised Under Grey Skies' in 2017 and his new single 'In These Arms' is out on Island Records now.
We caught up with him to take part in our ten questions series.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
There are many, but I’ll narrow it down to: The Drifters, Counting Crows, James Taylor, Pearl Jam.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Slow Deep Breaths.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
It depends, really. I love a beer but I don’t go overboard when we’re touring. Just a couple swills and maybe some Netflix on the bus. We’re actually working on our own beer at the minute so it’s very important to do a little market research!
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
'Stand By Me' by Ben E. King. I love the simplicity in the message, it’s one of my favourites.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Saba - 'Care for Me'
Kanye West - 'Jesus is King'
And for the evening: Oscar Peterson - 'Pastel Moods'
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Book: 'Norwegian Wood' by Murakami
Record: 'The Delta meets Detroit' - Aretha Franklin
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Danny Boyle (Fellow Mancunian. I’d love to see him capture 80s MCR)
Ryan Gosling (because he’d make me seem much cooler than I actually am)
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Thai green curry or a dirty burger.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Fishing with my son. Simple.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your gig
If you love the songs on record you’ll love them even more live.. no additives, no preservatives, straight up honest music!
Bonus Question: Recommend a podcast that we should subscribe to.