Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
Londoner Joy Crookes has quickly made a name for herself over the past few years with an impressive slew of neo-soul EPs and songs like 'Since I Left You' and 'Early', her collaboration with Irish rapper Jafaris last year.
The 21-year-old, whose dad is from Dublin, has just released 'Anyone But Me' - so we caught up with her to answer a few of our very important questions.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
I still listen to Nina Simone, Van Morrison, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Clash and way more people from my childhood. That music is never going anywhere for me.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Did I pee?
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
Usually have a few drinks, or just take myself home to sleep. It's all so overwhelming that you have to just do whatever your body tells you to.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
'Sign o' the Times' by Prince.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
'Astral Weeks' - Van Morrison
'Original Pirate Material' - The Streets
'Grey Area' - Little Simz
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Record: 'My Baby Just Cares for Me' - Nina Simone
Book: 'The Lowlands' - Jhumpa Lahiri
Film: 'Parasite' - Bong Joon Ho
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Director - Richard Ayoade
Lead Actress - Aishwarya Rai
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Doing absolutely nothing but spending time with friends and family, eating a tonne of food and not being annoyed by the voice in my head telling me off for doing the above.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should listen to your music.
Because I asked you to.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
The Blindboy Podcast, because he is a genius and you will be hooked.
'Anyone But Me' is out now.