One of Ireland's most recognisable voices, Jack Lukeman’s career spans 25 years.
The Kildare man has just announced his new album ‘Echo On’, which is set for release on September 30th, and he will also headline Dublin's 3Arena on November 25th.
Having spent the summer touring with Jools Holland and Sting, we caught up with Jack to learn more about his background, influences and inspirations - and how they led to this point.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
All my parents’ and siblings’ records - all the big bands like The Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, ABBA, Pink Floyd.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Set list, yikes.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
Three shots of tequila, haha. Usually, a bit of a meet and greet after the show is a good way to chill out the endorphins.
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
‘Happy Birthday’ or ‘She Moves Through The Fair’.
5. What is your pet peeve?
Self-service cash registers. I’m suddenly working for the shop. Bonkers. It's a con, like cashless society is. It’s like getting rid of all the trams in the cities years ago and then having to reinstall them all. Will we learn the same lesson? Nope.
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Record: ‘Spirit Of Eden’ -Talk Talk
Book: ‘Memories Dreams Reflections’ - Carl Jung
Movie: ‘Cool Hand Luke’
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
David Lean directs, Orson Welles acts, and it’s called “Who Writes this Sh%t”.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Japanese food - sushi rolls. With sparkling water.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Playing music with some friends outdoors, drinking coffee in the sun.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
It's in the 3Arena on November 25th 2022, celebrating 25 years of music. It’s gonna be the greatest show on earth, with a setlist and stagecraft cultivated over 25 years of living and breathing music and the live stage.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
I do enjoy Eamon Dunphy's ‘The Stand’ podcast - straight up talking and intelligent conversation.
'Echo On' is released on September 30th. Jack L plays Dublin's 3Arena on November 25th.