She is both a musician and a BBC Radio presenter, so Gemma Bradley gets to see both sides of the coin when it comes to the industry.
Her own material has seen the Northern Irish singer being hailed as a dazzling future prospect in the pop and r’n’b world, thanks to singles like ‘Obsessed’ and last year’s ‘Better’.
She’s also playing a rare gig down south at the We’ve Only Just Begun festival in Whelan’s (Friday August 5th - Sunday August 7th), so you’ll have the chance to catch her in the flesh very soon, too.
We chatted to Gemma to find out more about her inspirations and influences ahead of the gig.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Nerves. Excitement. Focus.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I either hang out with a few friends after the gig or get home and listen to some chilled music.
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
‘From the Ritz to the Rubble’ - Arctic Monkeys
5. What is your pet peeve?
People stopping in front of you suddenly when you’re walking.
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Record: ‘Waterloo to Anywhere’ - Dirty Pretty Things
Book: ‘The Shining’ - Stephen King
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Director: Taika Waititi, Actor: Zendaya
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Pepperoni pizza, always :-)
9. Describe your perfect day off.
A day full of zero plans. I’m free to do whatever. Whether it’s going for a walk, or making music. I want it to be spontaneous.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
You should come to my next gig because it will change your life.
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
Mad Notions Podcast. It’s lots of fun and will make you laugh.
Gemma Bradley plays We've Only Just Begun, which runs at Whelan's, Dublin from August 5th - 7th. See here for tickets.