Fears aka Constance Keane is an electro-pop artist originally from Dublin and now based in London.
Her debut solo album Oiche was released to huge acclaim last year, while she is also the drummer for punk band M(h)aol and has her own collective and management label TULLE.
She plays Haunted Dancehall in the National Concert Hall on October 2nd alongside 25 other Irish and international electronic/experimental artists such as Oneohtrix Point Never, Caterina Barbieri, Coby Sey, Blackhaine, Sunil Sharpe, Elaine Howley and more.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
I still remember the first time I heard The xx's debut album in the kitchen of a friend's house when I was in school and it completely blew my mind.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
I usually spend that minute deciding if I need to go to the toilet again or not, even if I've just been. I do a lot of stretches before I go on stage because sometimes you're 15 minutes into a show and realise you've been holding your shoulders up at your ears.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
Haha this is so boring, but I usually go to bed after a Fears gig. They're quite emotional performances for me and I'm usually fairly exhausted afterwards so I will have one drink and then head home to bed.
4. What’s the one song (by another artist) you wish you’d written or recorded first?
'Headache' by Grouper.
5. What is your pet peeve?
A dirty bathroom.
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Record - 'Super Monster' by Claud
Book - 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Ann Rule
Film - '10 Things I Hate About You'
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Greta Gerwig directing, Kaitlyn Denver acting.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
House of Momo in Dalston. The most amazing Nepalese dumplings that are my go-to when I'm in London and feel like crying into a box.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Lying in my bed with a hot water bottle, regardless of how warm it is, watching nail art tutorials on youtube.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig (whenever it may be.)
Do you like crying in the dark?
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
The Teacher's Pet. It's genuinely incredible, fascinating investigative journalism that lead to real life change. Also talking to people about it has resulted in two friendships so if you want friends - talk to people about this podcast.
Fears plays the Haunted Dancehall electronic festival at Dublin's National Concert Hall on October 2nd.