Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
She's a fast-rising star on the Irish r'n'b scene thanks to last year's excellent debut 'Leoness' EP and a string of impressive singles like 'Addicted'. Dublin's Erica Cody was once a Billie Barry kid and a talented basketball player. Lucky for us, she chose music as her career and we're excited to see where 2020 will take her.
Before then, we asked the 22-year-old to answer some questions that might give you a sense of what she's all about.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
I grew up listening to a lot of '80s and '90s RnB/Soul - from Stevie Wonder to Aaliyah. It's still what I always go back to to this day!
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Excitement, focused, (good) nerves
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I take about 20 minutes to myself after I come off stage because I’m usually PUMPED full of adrenaline.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
TLC - 'Waterfalls'.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Rihanna - 'Anti'
Mahalia - 'Love & Compromise'
Drake - 'Scorpion'
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Record: Alicia Keys - 'Element of Freedom'
Book: 'The Secret'
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Director: Ava Duvernay
Lead actor: Priah Ferguson
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Writing, mixed in with a duvet day with my dogs and Netflix (it has to be raining to make it feel even better!)
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your next gig.
It’s the perfect safe space to come catch a vibe and have fun!
Erica Cody is an ambassador for this year's AIB Future Sparks Festival - an innovative careers festival for senior cycle students. Now in its third year, the event returns to the RDS on 26th March 2020 and will be bigger and better than ever before.