Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
At just 21 years old, Daniel Blume has already accomplished a hell of a lot in the music world.
The classically-trained pianist and guitarist won a scholarship to the prestigious Yehudi Menuhin school as a teenager, but left the classical world behind after falling in love with electronica.
He's being touted in some corners as the next Calvin Harris, so we caught up with the London-based Dubliner to find out more about his music...
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
I’ve always listened to a really wide range of music since a super young age. I’ve always loved everything on the radio and used to love collecting the Now! CDs as a kid. I was in love with all the early Calvin Harris records, but I started everything with classical music. I started playing the classical guitar age 3 and everything stemmed from that. Nobody would expect it but the music that really inspired me and influenced me the most from when I was young would be minimalist classical music like Steve Reich and Philip Glass, they use essentially loops performed by live musicians which gradually change over time. All my teachers said they could really see the parallels when I fell in love with dance music as conceptually, it’s quite similar in that sense.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Excited, grateful and energetic.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I just came off supporting Jax Jones on his UK tour and one thing I really enjoyed the most was going straight into the crowd after and just watching him absolutely kill it, I learnt so much from watching him every night.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
Calvin Harris - 'Feel So Close'.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
Drake - 'Views'
Lauv - 'I Met You When I Was 18'
Post Malone - 'Hollywood's Bleeding'
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Steve Reich - 'Music for 18 Musicians'
'Of Mice and Men'
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
Quentin Tarantino and Leonardo DiCaprio, haha.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Pizza. Always pizza.
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Write a new song, nothing makes me happier.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should listen to your music.
More energy than you’ve ever seen before.
Daniel Blume's new single 'Catch Feelings' is out now.