Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, what's your favourite takeaway dish?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
The daughter of jazz singers/musicians, Norwegian pop star Dagny previously enjoyed huge success with her debut single 'Backbeat' after it was featured on an episode of Grey's Anatomy, while 2018 single 'Drink About' has been streamed a whopping 200 million times.
Now, after collaborations with the likes of Steve Aoki under her belt, she's preparing for the release of her debut album proper in 2020.
Before that, we caught up with her to answer some of the most important questions you need to know about any artist.
1. What's the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Pretty much all my guilty pleasures are melodic pop songs from the 90s! But besides guilty pleasures, I would say Robyn.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Restless. Focused. Quiet.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
I hang out with my band. Maybe have a beer? I like to have a few minutes to myself right after I come off stage, cause my body is so full of adrenaline. But then we just hang out together.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
'There She Goes' by The La's.
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
'Stay Gold' by First Aid Kit
'What's Life Without Losers' by Mikhael Paskalev
'Sway' by Tove Styrke
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
"Motion Sickness" by Phoebe Bridgers, 'Przewalski’s Horse' by Maja Lunde and a French film called "The Chorus" (Les Choristes)... or just 'Dirty Dancing'. I mean, it's a classic and gives me all the feels.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Tacos! I would eat that every day - and you can mix it up so it doesn't feel like you're eating the same thing over and over. Fish tacos is a favourite!
9. Describe your perfect day off.
In the winter it would be downhill skiing. In the summer it would be by the sea, either some fun water sport or just lay on the beach. If we can add in blue skies, sun and nice people, it would be absolutely perfect.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should come to your gig/listen to your album.
Because it'll give you a real energy boost. And who doesn't need that once in a while?
Dagny's new single 'Come Over' is out now.