Over thirty years since the release of their seminal debut album, 'Immigrants, Emigrants and Me', Power of Dreams are set to release their first studio album in twenty five years.
'Aüslander' is an apt re-introduction to one of Ireland’s most enigmatic bands of the nineties and is released on July 23rd.
We took the opportunity to catch up with frontman Craig Walker to hear more about his life these days, as well as his enduring influences and inspirations.
1. What's the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Apart from the usual suspects that are too boring to list here - The Fall are stil a constant constant source of wonder.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
God help me.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
These days I go back to the hotel and sleep. I might indulge in a mini packet of Pringles or I may not. All depends on how good the gig went.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written first?
'Running up that Hill' by Kate Bush - I could probably listen to that song on repeat till the day I die and never get bored by it.
5. What’s the last thing you watched on TV?
I haven’t watched television for over 20 years but I watch stuff on streaming channels. Last thing I watched was Peter Jackson’s ‘They Will Never Grow Old’ for the second time. It’s such an astonishing piece of film.
6. Name one record and one film that everyone should hear / see.
Elliot Smith - ‘Figure 8’. Genius songwriting and harmonies to die for.
'Paths of Glory' - Stanley Kubrick. Excellent movie that shows the absolute pointlessness of the First World War.
7. What's your biggest pet peeve?
8. Who's the most famous person saved to your phone contacts?
Fritz Hilpert from Kraftwerk. I've been friends with Fritz for the last few years and we've collaborated on a number of projects for his label Mindmap.
9. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
I live in Berlin and we have some great fusion restaurants. So I would go for Sicilian Street food and Mexican Ceviche fusion. Sounds weird but tastes delicious.
10. Describe your perfect day off.
Getting up late. Reading a book. Hanging in the park with my family. Eating dinner in a good restaurant. Going to see a live show. Home to binge watch on Netflix or Amazon.
'Aüslander' is released on July 23rd.