Hearing about a band or artist's influences and inspirations are all well and good, but sometimes, you just want to get to the nitty-gritty in an interview - like, 'what's your favourite takeaway dish'?
Our new Q&A series sees us throwing rapidfire questions at musicians to get their most instinctive answers. There's no beating around the bush here - just honest, straightforward insights into their creative minds.
Next up is Aimée, who releases her debut EP 'Confession' today. Having rung in the New Year with a bang at the NYE Dublin gig, it's safe to say that the young pop musician is preparing for a big year in 2020 - even despite the current circumstances.
She's already scored a Top 30 radio hit with 'Don't Call Me Pretty', so we got the lowdown on her background and what to expect from her EP.
1. What’s the music that you listened to growing up, that you still listen to today?
Anything Christina Aguilera! Still to this day if I need a pick me up , some inspiration or if I just need to listen to music that moves me I always go back to Christina.
2. In three words, describe the minute before you walk on stage.
Excitement, fear and butterflies.
3. How do you wind down after a gig?
My ritual is always the same: Have a shower, get into cosy clothes, have food & some herbal tea.
4. What’s the one song you wish you’d written or recorded first?
Ariana Grande - 'God is a Woman'
5. You can only have three albums on your phone/in your house at any one time - what three would you pick for today?
H.E.R - Her
Sweetener - Ariana Grande
La Vita Nuova - Christine and the Queens
6. Name one record, one book and one film that everyone should hear / read / see.
Burlesque - one of my all time favourites.
7. Pick the director and lead actor(s) for a biopic about your life.
For some reason I want to say Amy Schumer? I don’t know why but she’s always such a mood lol … I relate to her in so many ways.
8. You’re ordering take-away, what do you get?
Oh, always Indian. Tarka Dahl or Saag Aloo ANYDAY!
9. Describe your perfect day off.
Beach day. Always.
10. Tell us, in one sentence, why we should listen to your music.
If you like pop music and good songs, why not?
BONUS QUESTION: Recommend a podcast and tell us why we should subscribe to it.
Pretty Big Deal - Ashley Graham. It is a great podcast about inspiring women and how they overcame their individual struggles to become successful as a woman.
'Confession' is out now. Aimée plays Whelan's, Dublin on October 7th and numerous festival dates across the summer. See aimeemusicofficial.com for more.