Cinema attendance is said to be lower than ever and yet movies from this year’s blockbuster season continue to break box office records. With 'Incredibles 2' recently becoming the highest grossing animated movie of all time domestically, and 'Infinity War' now the fourth highest grossing film ever, it got us wondering, what are the highest grossing films in the Irish box office of all-time?
The top three should come as little surprise given they are the very same as the top three in the international box office.
The highest grossing movie of all-time in Ireland’s box office is, of course, 'Avatar', followed by 'Titanic', with 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' coming in third place.
In fourth and fifth place are two films that share nothing in common other than the fact that they were both released around this time a decade ago – 'Mamma Mia!' and 'The Dark Knight.'
Family films and animation have always proven a hit with Irish audiences so it should come as little surprise that three of the top ten highest grossing films are animated – 'The Simpsons Movie' is the sixth highest-grossing, 'Toy Story 3' is the 8th and 'Shrek the Third' is the 9th.
As with an obligatory Star Wars entry, there is also an obligatory Bond entry, as 'Skyfall' takes the seventh spot on the list, while 'The Dark Knight Rises' comes in at number ten.
The top movies of all time and their total grosses in ROI’s box office are:
1. Avatar (2009) - € 8,702,770
2. Titanic (1998) - € 8,253,298
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - € 6,780,759
4. Mamma Mia! (2008) - € 6,310,774
5. The Dark Knight (2008) - € 6,300,542
6. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - € 6,144,885
7. Skyfall (2012) - € 6,006,062
8. Toy Story 3 (2010) - € 5,720,478
9. Shrek the Third (2007) - € 5,688,466
10. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - € 5,499,254
Via Wide Eye Media