Despite the fact that cinemas were closed for the first half of 2021 and had to close early in its final weeks, the Irish box office still managed to take in a hefty sum.
All told, the total take for 2021 was €47.5 million according to figures released by ComScore and Wide Eye Media. Cinemas were ordered closed by the Irish government at the start of 2021 and only resumed business in June, yet by the end of the year, the government placed an 8PM curfew on all cinemas and entertainment venues in response to escalating COVID cases.
As for the box office, the top 10 list shouldn't surprise anyone. 'No Time To Die' was the clear winner of the box office in Ireland for 2021, raking in an impressive €6,012,690. 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' followed closely in second place with €4,466,315.
In third place, 'Peter Rabbit 2' managed to take in a little over €1.6 million while 'Dune' garnered a similar figure. Despite critical revulsion across the board, 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' somehow made it into sixth place with €1.59 million, while 'Fast & Furious 9' managed €1.57 million for its car-crashing efforts.
Here's the Top 10 list in full.
1. 'No Time To Die' - €6,012,690
2. 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' - €4,466,315
3. 'Peter Rabbit 2' - €1,671,338
4. 'Dune' - €1,670,531
5. 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings' - €1,647,044
6. 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' - €1,592,641
7. 'Fast & Furious 9' - €1,547,117
8. 'Free Guy' - €1,541,482
9. 'Black Widow' - €1,524,448
10. 'Venom: Let There Be Carnage' -€1,445,948