As 'Tenet' crosses over $280 million globally, we thought we'd take a look at how the 2020 box office is going. You know, given how much of a mess the year has turned out to be for the movie industry.
Well it should be of little surprise that the top grossing movies of the year so far constitutes mostly of features that hit cinemas between January and March; some even hit cinemas in 2019 but had continued success in the box office in the early months of the year.
The highest grossing movie of 2020 so far is 'Th Eight Hundred, a Chinese war drama.
Set during the Second Sino-Japanese War, its subject matter proved controversial.
In spite of the controversy, it grossed $434 million worldwide.
Then, if you can believe it, threequel 'Bad Boys for Life' comes in as the second highest grossing movie of 2020.
The Will Smith and Martin Lawrence starrer is also the highest grossing domestic box office release of the year.
The strength of family movies at the box office continues to show as 'Sonic the Hedgehog', 'Dolittle', 'Onward' and 'The Call of the Wild' take 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th place in the top 10, respectively.
'Tenet' has taken 4th place in the worldwide box office for 2020. While it has cleared its $200 million budget, it is estimated that its marketing would have pushed up its budget.
Here are the top grossing movies of the year so far globally:
- The Eight Hundred - $425,654,352
- Bad Boys for Life - $424,617,855
- Sonic the Hedgehog - $308,190,525
- Tenet - $284,900,000 $41,200,000
- Dolittle $245,664,827
- Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey - $201,858,461
- Onward $144,952,282 - $61,555,145
- The Invisible Man - $130,953,936
- The Call of the Wild - $107,604,626
- Mulan - $64,400,000
Here are the top grossing movies of the year so far domestically:
- Bad Boys for Life - $204,417,855
- 1917 - $157,901,466
- Sonic the Hedgehog - $146,066,470
- Jumanji: The Next Level - $124,736,710
- Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - $124,496,308
- Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey - $84,158,461
- Dolittle - $77,047,065 4,155
- Little Women - $70,508,087
- The Invisible Man - $64,914,050
- The Call of the Wild - $62,342,368