Is Will Ferrrell a comedic genius? MTV sure seem to think so. And come to think of it, so do we. Though having said that, we were somewhat disappointed with The Campaign. Guess you can't win 'em all, eh? Here's hoping he redeems himself with Anchorman 2. Anyhoo, the man behind Ron Burgundy's beautifully maintained moustache is to be honoured with a special award at the MTV Movie Awards on April 14th.
Hosted by Bridesmaids' Rebel Wilson (you'll also know her as Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect), this year sees the first ever inclusion of the 'Comedic Genius Award'. For his "incomparable contributions to the world of comedy", Mr Ferrell will be the first recipient of this coveted title. Commenting on the wonder that is Ferrell, Stephen Friedman of MTV said: "Will Ferrell epitomises what it means to be a comedic genius and it's only fitting that he should be the inaugural recipient of this award... Over the course of his extraordinary, 17-plus-year career, he has entertained audiences across the globe with an impressive array of laugh-out-loud performances on air, online and in films... Simply put, Will Ferrell is 'kind of a big deal'."
On that note, let's take a look at some of Ferrell's finest filmic moments.
1. Wedding Crashers - The Meatloaf scene. We doubt anyone could consume a mouthful of meatloaf (or listen to any music by Meatloaf, for that matter) without thinking back to Ferrell's Chazz Reinhold. Living the dream whilst scabbing off his mam, with his general outlook on life (especially losers who get married), his hilarious disrespect towards his mother and his penchant for pulling chicks at funerals, Chazz is one of Ferrell's greatest comedic creations. We only we wish there was more of him to go around.
"Hey MA! THE MEATLOAF! WE WANT IT NOW! What is she doing, I never know what she's doing... back there."
2. Elf - Buddy meets a Santa imposter. While there's scarce a moment in Elf that we didn't love, we particularly enjoyed the moment wherein Buddy (the happy idiotic elf who's considerably larger than all other elves) has a stand off against a fake Santa, hired by the toy store to entertain the kids. There's no fooling Ferrell though, he can see right through the cotton wool beard. When he manages to push the man underneath the fat suit over the edge, hilarity ensues.
3. Step Brothers - The entire movie. This film is so endlessly quotable, we couldn't pick just one moment to show you. Massive props to John C Reilly too; he really is the perfect comedic match to the King of Comedy, Mr. Ferrell. Two of the most immature kids trapped inside their middle aged bodies are forced together against their will. At first, they hate each other, however upon discovering a mutual love for Cops, Good Housekeeping and fort-building, they soon become friends. This comedy doesn't get the credit it deserves; it should really be mentioned in every best comedy list from here to Timbuktu. Don't you agree? Here's some of the best quotes in one video.
"I'm not going to call him Dad. Not ever. Even if there's a fire!"
4. Blades of Glory - Lovely Lady Humps scene. Stripped of their Olympic medals, two former rival figure skaters must pair up if they want to qualify for the men's skating competition, thus restoring their glory. This scene in which Ferrell offers up his rendition of The Black Eyed Peas Lady Lumps whilst puffing on a treadmill is one of our favourites. It also piqued the interest of Kanye West and Jay Z, so much so that they included a quote from it in their song, Niggaz in Paris.
5. Last but by no means list, we give you Anchorman. And if we thought it was tough choosing our favourite scenes from Step Brothers, we're sure not going to pick one here; from beginning to end, this is Will Ferrell at his absolute finest. Will he ever achieve the same comedic heights again? Unlikely, but we'll certainly keep watching to find out. You know the story here so no need to relay. Here's three (sorry, one just won't do) of Ron Burgundy's funniest scenes:
We must also include an honourable mention for 2003's Old School. 'We're going streeeeeaking!'. Enough said.