Although we're still very, very skeptical about it actually happening, 'Indiana Jones 5' is still slated for release on July 9th, 2021.
However, it's entirely possible that that release date will be pushed yet again, as Variety is reporting that Steven Spielberg will not direct the fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie. Spielberg directed all four instalments of the franchise, beginning with 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' in 1981, and right up to 'Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' in 2008. Less said about that one, the better.
Anyway, Variety's report has it that none other than 'Ford v Ferrari' director and recent guest on 'The Filum Show', James Mangold, is expected to take over from Señor Spielbergo. Just today in fact, Mangold was announced as one of the directors for the second season of Disney+'s 'The Mandalorian'. Not only that, Mangold was previously lined up to direct the spinoff movie for Boba Fett, one of the most recognisable villains from the 'Star Wars' universe.
In short, Mangold's a known quantity for Disney and handing something like 'Indiana Jones' to him might just be the shot in the arm the franchise needs. Previously, Harrison Ford told CBS Sunday Morning that 'Indiana Jones 5' was due to begin production in the next two months, and then told HeyUGuys that the movie still had some "scheduling issues and a few script things" to clear up, adding that they wanted to "get it right before we get it made."
The real question is precisely how it'll work with Harrison Ford and whether there's any real appetite out there for audiences for another 'Indiana Jones' movie. So, over to you!