After an initial autopsy had failed to determine the precise cause of death of Philip Seymour Hoffman, further toxicology tests have confirmed that the actor died due to 'acute mixed drug intoxication', reports The Los Angeles Times.
A mix of heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamines are said to have been the concoction contributing towards his untimely passing. The official ruling by New York's chief Medical Examiner determining that Hoffman's death was accidental.
The Academy Award winning actor was found dead in his New York apartment on February 2nd by his close friend, writer David Bar Katz, after he had failed to pick his kids up from his estranged girlfriend, Mimi O'Donnell. Hoffman, who had been clean and sober for 23 years, after entering drug rehabilitation back in 1989, relpased last year. The Capote star, admitting himself to further rehab last May, struggled to kick the addiction that he had controlled for so long, but that ultimately took his life so tragically last month.