Amy Winehouse died from an accidental poisoning of alcohol, after resuming drinking following a period of abstinence, a second coroner's inquest confirmed yesterday. The initial inquest into Winehouse's death produced the same verdict but its results were questioned when it emerged that the coroner was unqualified for the job.
Pathologist Michael Sheaff informed the inquest that Winehouse's most likely cause of death was as a result of a respiratory arrest brought on by alcohol toxification. Coroner Shirley Radcliffe echoed Sheaff and said Winehouse's passing was "death by misadventure" and that there weren't any suspicious circumstances.
Radcliffe said that Winehouse had 5 times the legal driving limit of alcohol in her system and that can affect the central nervous system to the extent that it's possible to "fall asleep and not wake up."
Much was made in the media of Winehouse's troubles with addiction and frequent health problems - including bulimia, emphysema and seizures - as her personal struggles cast a shadow over her undoubted talent.
The 27-year-old Grammy winner was found dead in her London home on July 23rd 2011. Her family did not attend the hearing.